Sunday, November 11, 2007

Of the highest regard....



At just twenty four years of age, whilst under heavy enemy shell fire, he took care of the wounded, even though he had been hit four times by pieces of shell, he continued saving lives. Only after he had done his job, did he report his own wounds, and seek medical attention.

For this amazing act, this dedication to his fellow soldiers, he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

This man was Captain William Barnsley Allen, Royal Army Medical Corps.

On this day, all those who served, many of whom died, are remembered:

'They ask me where I've been,
And what I've done and seen.
But what can I reply
Who know it wasn't I,
But someone just like me,
Who went across the sea
And with my head and hands
Killed men in foreign lands...
Though I must bear the blame,
Because he bore my name.'


Back, Wilfred Gibson.

1 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine ever having to deal with something like that, or being part of a family that has to deal with the kind of devastation war brings. May they rest in peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home