Friday, December 08, 2006

'Where's my gun?'



That is one of the dreaded questions a Police Officer fears to have to ask, because if he or she is asking that question, they fear for their life.

You have read a brilliant response to a scenario on Policespecials.com, it said this:

‘Discretely pull out the side of my shirt, draw my gun from concealment, rack a round in the chamber, aim for the fellow's midriff and order him to put the gun down and show his hands. If the said fellow threatened me in any way, two shots to the chest and one to the head. If he ran without dropping his gun, I would try to stop him, including use of a firearm. If he did drop his gun and ran, I would call the police and try to give first aid to the cashier, depending on his or her condition. If the gunman surrendered, I would have him on the floor spread-eagled until police arrived.’

This was said by a Police Officer, who works in Israel.

All Police Officers (be they Regular or Special Constables) in the United Kingdom are authorised to carry a Section 5 Firearm, CS Spray or PAVA. The debate is whether or not to routinely arm all Officers with lethal firearms.

WPC Rachael Bown was shot in Nottingham City; her Police partner has stated that if he had been armed with a gun, he would have shot the gunman.

‘My first thought was 'Where's my gun?' PC Martin Foster

Has the time come to arm all Police Officers in the United Kingdom with lethal firearms?

6 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no thanks!
Taser yes though

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger fjl said...

Only if you can arm us all. Then where will it end.

 
At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my father was a policeman and he was a drunken disgrace,truth be known,he was retired eventually after 19 yrs and if he had been armed he would have shot half of the scumbags in my small town just to show what a good shot he was ! i am afraid that there are still many men like him in the force and they should not be armed as they make mistakes

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Joe90 said...

Everyone makes mistakes, it is part of being human.

But I see your point.

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a question that has been asked many times. Looking at America recently where a black man was shot and killed on his stag doo, I really am beginning to have reservations about the general issue to officers of firearms. I know I will act responsibily, but I hate to think about other officers. There will always be people who will not. In one fail swoop we go from unarmed heros (albeit dead)to armed killers. Seeing the standard of some colleagues I just wouldn't trust them with a firearm. The other issue I have is the use of an inappropriate selection and amount of force. Rather then getting a baton\taser\CS out, the firearm would probably be drawn immediately as it will have maximum impact. This will lead to negative public perception.
I worry about the use of tasers also. Youtube and google-video has so many US police taser videos demonstrating a disproportionate use of force where a person is effectively being tortured by the officer doing the tasering...
We need a safe, non-lethal non-painfull method of disabling a person.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger fjl said...

Is that Lennie returned from his Scotland yard disgrace? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home